08 September 2011

Proposal

I am intending to create an ultra-local newspaper, for Harrogate and the local district. E.g. villages such as Fewston. The newspaper will cover local issues such as local events, incentives, culture and sports. I am not going to cover national stories; I am going to mainly focus on local stories.

At the top of my news agenda I am going to mainly focus on local people, and personalisation. I am going to balance out the negativity, by adding more positive, successful stories. However, I will also include negative, scandalous stories to increase the target audience. I want my newspaper to represent the positivity in Harrogate and the strength of the community, but also include negative events happening to keep people informed. I am going to give priority to events charging Harrogate for my front page, such as the plans to pedestriansise Harrogate centre, or Tesco trying to gain planning permission. For my second page I am going to focus on Large events such as Culture shock, Yorkshire show and the comedy week.

Ideology

I am intending to replicate the established conventions of present local newspapers. They are successful, and the conventions work well. The audience will also be able to recognise the paper.

My newspaper will be conservative, and follow the status quo due to the wide audience I am targeting. I am going to keep things as they are, in terms of my way I am reporting my events.

I am going to be politically neutral when writing my newspaper to try and not lose a section of my target audience.

My target audience for my newspaper is very large. It will be aimed predominantly at the Harrogate community, people living in the Harrogate area and surrounding villages. My newspaper should appeal to a range of background, but mainly aiming at the middle, upper class due to Harrogate being a wealthy time. I am targeting 30+ aged range, as it is mostly adults living in the areas, although there will be a secondary audience, such as children of the purchasers. My circulation figures will not be specific as people may read the paper when waiting at the dentist, or the paper may get passed around from one person to another after reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment